ORIC WEBSITE PRIVACY STATEMENT
The Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner (ORIC), including the Racing Integrity Commissioner (the Commissioner) and staff, has:
- A website privacy statement (below).
Protecting your privacy by handling your personal information in this manner is an important aspect of our activities.
This Website Privacy Statement only applies to websites, webpages and electronic addresses operated, maintained or administered by ORIC under the domain name www.racingintegrity.vic.gov.au . This privacy statement does not apply to any linked or other web spaces. If you register to use a mobile application which collects personal information, the terms and conditions associated with the application (if any) will govern how that personal information is managed.
This privacy statement explains how your personal information will be handled by ORIC when you access and interact with its web spaces including any service accessible through its web spaces that facilitates interactive information sharing.
ORIC recommends that you read any terms and conditions (including any privacy statement or policy) that apply to any web service, as any such terms and conditions relating to the handling of your personal information by the web service will prevail over this privacy statement to the extent of any inconsistency.
ORIC may update this privacy statement from time to time. Any changes to this privacy statement will be published on this page.
Collection of your personal information
The types of personal information that ORIC may collect through its web spaces include:
- your name, email address, telephone number, IP address and other contact or identification details
- the content of any online application, enquiry, submission, subscription, survey or complaint that you submit to any of its web spaces
- the content of any other solicited or unsolicited electronic communication that you send to any of its web spaces
- any registration information that you provide to use any web service which is accessible through any of its web spaces
- the content of any comments that you post to, or otherwise make available on, any of its web spaces using any web service
- any other information that you provide to, or make available on, any of its web spaces
- metadata relating to any electronic communications that you send to any of ORIC’s web spaces (examples of metadata include your electronic address, time and date sent, time and date received, unique message identification, message type, message length, etc.).
ORIC relies upon you to ensure that any personal information that you provide to, or make available on, its web spaces is accurate, current, complete and relevant. ORIC also relies upon you to advise it of any changes to such personal information.
You can browse any of ORIC’s web spaces anonymously without disclosing any of your personal information to ORIC. However, if you do not provide any information requested on any of the ORIC’s web spaces for the provision of a service then ORIC may not be able to provide the service to you.
Collection of personal information about other persons
At or before the time that you provide to, or make available on, any of ORIC’s web spaces any personal information about another person, ORIC relies upon you to take reasonable steps to ensure that the person is aware:
- that such information will or has been provided to ORIC
- how the person can access his or her information
- the purposes for which the information was provided to ORIC
- to whom ORIC usually discloses information of that kind
- any law that requires the information to be provided to ORIC
- the main consequences (if any) for the person if all or part of the information is not provided to ORIC.
You are not required to make a person aware of the above matters where doing so would pose a serious threat to the life of any person or would involve the disclosure of information given in confidence.
Use and disclosure of personal information
ORIC will not use or disclose any personal information that it collects through any of its web spaces unless the use or disclosure is:
- for the primary purpose for which the information was collected
- required or authorised by law
- for any other purpose permitted under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
Subject to the requirements of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic), ORIC may need to disclose personal information which it collects through its web spaces to:
- the ORIC’s service providers which provide website, archival, auditing, professional advisory, banking, mail house, delivery, recruitment, call centre, technology, research, utility, security, electronic payment or application processing services or administrative support
- organisations acting on your behalf, for example your solicitor or interpreter.
ORIC will not use any of your personal information that it collects through its web spaces to add you to a mailing list without your consent.
Information provided to web services
Any personal information which you provide to, or make available on, any of ORIC’s web spaces using any web service may be accessible to other users of the web service who are not officers, employees or contractors of ORIC and, if the web service is provided by a third party, the third party. Other users of, and third parties which provide such a web service, may use or disclose your personal information which you provide to, or make available using, the web service for any purpose including for the purpose of sending you unsolicited electronic communications. You acknowledge and agree that ORIC is not responsible for any such use or disclosure.
ORIC has implemented technology and security policies to protect the personal information which it collects through its web spaces. When accessing or using any of ORIC’s web spaces you should be aware that there are risks in transmitting information across the Internet. While ORIC strives to protect such information, it cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted over the Internet and you do so at your own risk. If you are concerned about providing sensitive information to ORIC over the Internet, you might prefer to contact ORIC by telephone or mail. ORIC uses SSL encryption where necessary to protect personal information which is provided to its web spaces for online transactions requiring such protection.
ORIC takes reasonable steps to protect personal information collected through its web spaces from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. ORIC will also take reasonable steps to remove personal information from its system where it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected or any other purpose (including archiving) which is permitted in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
Web statistics data collection
ORIC uses web analytics software to collect usage statistics for its web spaces. This information is not used by ORIC to identify you or match your identity with any of your personal information.
The following non-personal information may be automatically recorded by the web server of any of ORIC’s web spaces for statistical and system administration purposes:
- your server address
- your top-level domain name (e.g. .com, .au, .gov)
- the date and the time of your visit to the site
- the pages you accessed and downloaded
- the address of the last site you visited
- your operating system
- the type of browser you are using.
To the extent that any clickstream data could make you identifiable, ORIC will not attempt to identify you from such clickstream data unless necessary for the investigation of unlawful activity or otherwise permitted under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
ORIC uses web beacons to record usage statistics for its web spaces. Web beacons are not used by ORIC to identify you or record any of your personal information.
Access and correction
To request access to, or correction of, any of your personal information held by ORIC, please contact us using the privacy contact details below to find out about access and correction procedures.
You can request access to your personal information directly without the need to make a formal application under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic). However, there are situations where it will not be appropriate to provide such access, and you will be required to make a formal freedom of information request, for example, where providing access would compromise the privacy of another person.
For further information on making a freedom of information request please visit the Freedom of Information website
Freedom of Information
Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner
PO Box 24034 Bourke Street Melbourne VIC 3001
Tel: 03 8684 7776
Privacy contact details
For further information about the handling of personal information by ORIC please contact:
Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner
PO Box 24034
Bourke Street Melbourne VIC 3001
Tel: 03 8684 7776