Contact the Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner
Queries about integrity related issues within the Victorian Racing Industry may be made directly to the Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner.
Post: Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner
PO Box 24034 Bourke Street Melbourne VIC 3001
Tel: + 61 3 8684 7776
Fax: + 61 3 8684 7778
Reporting Information and Complaints to the Commissioner
Should you wish to provide information or make a complaint regarding an integrity related issue you may contact the office as listed above. Complaints will be requested to be made in writing, by post or by email. You may request that your identity remain anonymous and not be shared outside of the Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner.
Should you wish to remain anonymous to the Commissioner’s office, you may report an integrity related issue within the Victorian Racing Industry directly to the Racing Integrity Hotline. The Racing Integrity Hotline is attended by a team of ‘independent investigators contracted by the Commissioner to receive information provided by the members of the public and the racing industry in the strictest of confidence.
The Racing Integrity Hotline is run by STOPline; an independent, confidential and impartial disclosure management service which allows individuals to report corrupt or improper conduct anonymously without the fear of reprisal.
Should you wish to remain anonymous when contacting the Racing Integrity Hotline you will be issued with a confidential code and password for future reference. If requested, your identity will not be provided to the Commissioner or his office.
Racing Integrity Hotline
Phone: 1300 227 225
Post: Racing Integrity c/o STOPline
Locked Bag 8 Hawthorn Vic 3122
Fax: + 61 3 9882 4480
Investigations into Integrity Related Issues
The mandate of the Racing Integrity Commissioner is not to achieve a personal remedy or restitution for a complainant, but to identify integrity related issues and take appropriate action(s). Upon receiving information or a complaint about an integrity related issue, the Commissioner may elect to:
- refer the information provided (or part of the information) to another government agency better suited to investigate the matter;
- conduct his own investigation into the matter; or
- take no further action.
Due to operational constraints it may not be possible for the Racing Integrity Commissioner to provide progress reports to a complainant during the course of an investigation, as this action may jeopardise the effectiveness of the investigation.
When a matter has been investigated directly by the Racing Integrity Commissioner, the Commissioner will advise the outcome of his investigation to the person who made the complaint, and where appropriate, to the Minister for Racing or the relevant industry controlling body. The Commissioner may also advise a complainant of his decision to take no further action in relation to a complaint or the information provided.
Disclosure of integrity related information to other bodies
Racing Act 1958(Vic) s 37E empowers the Commissioner to disclose integrity related information, as he deems appropriate, to various racing and government bodies, both within Victoria and Interstate. These include, but may not be limited to the following agencies:
- A racing controlling body i.e. Racing Victoria Limited, Harness Racing Victoria and Greyhound Racing Victoria;
- Victorian Racing Tribunal (VRT);
- Victorian Racing Integrity Board (VRIB);
- Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR);
- Victoria Police;
- Australian Federal Police (AFP);
- The Minister for Racing;
- The Independent Broad-based Anti Corruption Commission (IBAC);
- The Victorian Inspectorate;
- A person that controls, organises or administers an approved betting event;
- Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC);
- Australian Taxation Office (ATO);
- Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC;
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC);
- Australian Border Force (Customs);
- Ombudsman Victoria;
- Therapeutic Goods Administration;
- Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA);
- Australian Racing Board;
- Harness Racing Australia;
- Greyhound Racing Australasia;
- Northern Territory Racing Commission;
- Thoroughbred Racing Northern Territory;
- ACT Gambling and Racing Commission;
- Racing Queensland Limited;
- Queensland All Codes Industry Board;
- Queensland Racing Integrity Commissioner;
- Racing New South Wales;
- Harness Racing New South Wales;
- Greyhound Racing New South Wales;
- Thoroughbred Racing South Australia;
- Harness Racing South Australia;
- Greyhound Racing South Australia;
- Racing and Wagering Western Australia;
- NSW Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission; and
- Director of Racing Tasmania.
The Minister for Racing may, by order in the Government Gazette add additional bodies or persons to this list of authorised agencies, that have a regulatory or administrative function in respect to racing, bookmaking or betting in Victoria or other State or Territory.